Tuesday 1 April 2014

Temperance Medal puzzle

My next post is a Temperance Medal which appears to have been given to my father in the early 1930s.

In 1932 he would have been 24 years old, he had left home by then (his father told him to leave and find a job and somewhere to live on his 13th birthday!)
That gives an idea as to why I have no photos of my grandfather!

I know my dad was into boxing; this was one of the reasons that he ended up at The Colony (see November posting), as he was having blackouts which it was believed were a result of his boxing career. Was he a member of the society because they offered a boxing club?

In the past I have tried contacting the Temperance Society, but was told that they don't keep records, which I find hard to believe!
I think I need to contact them again.

Any other suggestions? Does anyone know anything about the Sons of Temperance? Did they have sporting clubs to take the young men away from the pubs? Does anyone know if there are any records of members?


                                                  

Front;                                                          
Top triangle; Love / Purity / Fidelity
Red & white ribbon
Bottom shield inscription reads;
The Order of the Sons of Temperance

Rear;
Back of Shield reads;
Southwark Division  
No. 173
Presented to
Bro. H. Zant
W.P.
Oct.1932 to Mar. ‘33

1 comment:

  1. No idea about this group. My ancestors would never have qualified for Temperance groups.

    ReplyDelete